Thursday, March 17, 2005

Ooooh, life goes on...

My father was buried on Tuesday. The funeral took place in the church in Fossvogur but he was buried in a small graveyard, Garðakirkjugarður, on Álftanes. It was a lovely day, the sun was shining and the sky was clear. The funeral was a difficult experience, but was very nice. My sister's daughter, Eva, sang beautifully for her grandfather, and a male singer sang my fathers favourite song. The church was filled with people; family, old friends, neighbours and former co-workers. It was strange to see the coffin go into the ground, but oddly comforting to know that he is resting in a nice place, with ocean view and all the ships going to Hafnarfjörður harbour have to sail past. A good place for an old sailor. I slept fitfully the night after the funeral and went to work late. When I turned on the car radio as I was driving from my house a line from a song filled the car: "Ooooh, life goes on". How very befitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home